Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Hashing through Yunlin and exploring Nantou

It's the last Saturday in March and that only means one thing....Hashing in Douliu.
I have 3 reasons to be very excited: 1) After a full month of commited training for Taiwan Challenge I want to see how fit I really am and how I will handle the Taiwan heat. 2) Seeing my friends Charl and Shani again and 3) and today is my third hash, which means I get a Hash name as well as my members badge:-)



 
I hop on the local train bound for Douliu and meet up with the rest of the group at the baseball field.
After meeting up with Charl and Shani we all sign up and head out to the starting point.


 
At the start there is plenty activity and celebration with the shooting of fireworks and pole dancers.
While the runners are all waiting to start I nearly pooed myself when meters from us they passed carrying a firework manuver shooting off fireworks.

Walkers are off
 
Runners getting ready
 
Scary, let me tell you.

Finally the runners were off and except for the one female hare I was the only lady runner and I was excited to keep up with the big guns from the Kaohsiung Hash House Harriers...LOL, FS, ET and HF.
As suspected the signs were limited, small and tricky. The trail was wet and dry, wet and dry...and at one stage I did not even recognized my shoes on my feet

Ducking and Diving

The first wet spot
 
Rice pad with beautiful Yunlin mountain backdrop.
 
Right on E.T and F.S heels
 

 En Route color and beauty
 
 
 

Not being able to catch the Hares SGA and DDT, we came pretty close finishing 5-10 minutes just behind them.  I had a awesome run and came in third. And would like to thank all the male runners for making this hash superb in everyway.

3rd Hash and 3rd Place

Oi.

True words.

Big heart runners.
Next to me is E.T, LOL and F.S.
 
Soon after all the walkers were in I was send off so they can discuss and decide on a hash name for me. I grabbed a beer and went to pray, that they be kind, at a beautiful grave just down the road.
A moment of silence.

Pleased to meet you, my Hash name is : Sausage Factory.
Down downs was special as always and I made a demonstration of just how long that first Taiwan sausage (boerewors) was.
I had a great time and run at the 56th Douliu Hash House Harriers run and would like thank each and everyone for making it memorable.

Charl clearly picked up a move at the starting point.
 
Downing from his own shoe:-o
 
Our hares...DDT and SGA thanks for a great trail.
 
Do I have toooooo?
 
Jip, it was! Good man SGT adding a couple of feet to the sausage.
 
Waiting...
 
My badge:-)
 

Special moment for two Hashers.
 
Tooo Much Down Down Fun.
 
 
Charl, Shani, Me and the only 4 Afrikaans speaking dogs in Taiwan loaded into their new four wheels and made our way to The Braaihuis for a traditional South African braai with real wood and braaibroodjies. A couple of minutes before Sunday I sneaked off for a power nap, but I never made it back...
 
Charl and Bryan cutting up some wood.

Braai @ The Braaihuis
 
The next morning we all were off for a road trip to Dexing waterfall in the Nantou district. ± 45 min drive North from Douliu we entered a magnificent beauty. The higher we went into this beautiful valley the cooler it got which was absolute bliss after the heat of the Saturday. We met up with Ryan and Jane at the waterfall.
 
A map of the region.
 
Nantou tea plantations.
 
 

 
 
Cool, Blue mountain water.
 
Pathway to the waterfall.
 
Beautiful and Peaceful.

 Charl and Shani.
 
 Young and old having fun.

 
While we are only entering our second month of Spring and the rainy season slowly approaching the waterfall was small and thin, but still breathtakingly beautiful.  
The dogs loved playing in the water while we all skipped stones.
Some people were making hot pot, others were meditating.  We explored and found a staircase up the mountain to the top of the waterfall. It ended right at a slope with a very dodging, old and weak looking rope for a climb to the top...if you have the balls, which I naturally don't have.


 
Steep and slippery stairs up and down.
 
View from the top.

The rope.



Spectacular view of the top.
 
 
Charl discovered more than a dozen leaches on his legs and I was freaked out...my cue to keep out of the water.
We sat down for a picnic style lunch prepared and packed by Charl. We had my favorite Costco sausage hotdogs with homemade mustard made by Charl. Delicious.

 

 
 
We slowly drove away from the waterfall down the mountain stopping at every change to take pictures.
Scenic drive...

Scenic pathway...
 
We found this bamboo pathway...stopped dead in our tracks with the spelling of pathway. The quietness accompanied with the sounds from the birds was beautiful.
 

 Bamboo Forest Pathway.
 
Bamboo left, right and centre.

 This ladder won't get you high enough.
 
 
 New bridge still under construction.
 

The older and longer road.

I had to snap these Lily's...simple beauty makes me miss my Grandmother.
 
 
A big thank you to Charl, Shani, Stitch, Peester and Leia who shared their new car, backseat and roadtrip with me.
I have seen a part of Taiwan that left me speechless and I am blessed to have you as friends.
 
Until our next "happie"
Taiwan Sausage Love
Mariza

No comments:

Post a Comment